Wilhelmine JAROSCH 1909-1998

Wilhelmine JAROSCH
(married 1st marriage PATSCHEIDER, 2nd marriage KNIELY)

  • Born: Mar. 25th, 1909 in Troppau (CZE)
  • Died: Mar. 6th, 1998 in Salzburg (Austria)



  • 1. marriage on July 28th, 1927 in Maria Hilf near Zuckmantel (CZE), with Dr.med. Anton PATSCHEIDER
  • 2. marriage am May 2nd, 1939 with Armin KNIELY born Nov. 3rd, 1907, Wies Bez. Deutschlandsberg (Austria), died Jan. 30th, in Bad Hofgastein (Austria)


  • Irimbert PATSCHEIDER born Apr. 8th, 1928 in Graz (Austria)
  • Giselheid PATSCHEIDER born May 3rd, 1929 in Moravian Rothwasser (CZE)
  • Klaus KNIELY born 24.1.1940 in Innsbruck (Austria)
  • Hanna KNIELY (married LEINER) born Apr. 8th, 1942 in Innsbruck (Austria)
  • Jörg KNIELY born Aug. 31st, 1943 in Ramsberg 97, Zillertal in Tirol (Austria), died Apr. 1st, 2009 in Tennenlohe/Erlangen (Germany)

(Author's note: my grandmother: my father his mother)


Excerpt from the Chronicle of the Patscheiders (written in 1988 by Wilhelmine Jarosch-Patscheider-Kniely herself):

When I, Wilhelmine Jarosch was born on Mar. 25th 1909, "all four walls were weeping" because I was a girl and not the long-awaited heir, so my mother later told me the reaction to my birth.


But nonetheless, I was very secure in the arms of my parents - and was anxiously guarded. My mother not only lost her son from her second marriage, but also all the children from her first marriage, the Schneiders, died as infants.


Of course, I was often alone. I had no siblings and my parents had to invest all their time in the business. Although my father strongly advocated for a day off at the cooperative, his proposal fell on deaf ears, not even Christmas Eve was reserved for the family. I sat alone under the tree with my abundant gifts. One year, there was a beautiful toy piano among them, and it probably sparked my musical inclinations, an inheritance from the Rosners.


In 1914, the First World War began. My parents leased their inn and moved to Braunsdorf. My father had agreed to manage the Krause-Hof since Uncle Albert was immediately drafted into the Austrian army. My father took on this task with his own enthusiasm, carefully leading the various groups of Russian prisoners of war to work in the fields. They and the local population respected him for his honesty, despite him being a city person. As a result, he was awarded honorary membership in the Braunsdorf volunteer fire brigade, among other things. In 1915, I began attending the local elementary school in Braunsdorf, and despite the war and restrictions, I greatly enjoyed those years. I always had playmates, and life in the countryside suited my nature very well.


In 1916 we returned to Troppau, my father had to run his inn himself again because his tenant had to enlist. It was a difficult time, there was hardly any food, we had painstakingly organised a barrel of beer somewhere, which we, my father and I, had to bring home through the town on a ladder trolley, the usual means of transport of horse and cart were on war duty, so the business was literally stormed - for a mug of beer!


The year 1918 came, Austria had lost the war and we all became Czechoslovak citizens overnight, a state had come into being that could not be found on any map before. At that time I went to the training school, which was housed in the former Liechtenstein castle. When I went into the 3rd grade, my parents gave me a grand piano and so I started playing the piano, which became a part of my youth. After the 5 years of primary schools prescribed at that time, I entered the three-year citizen's school. In this period after 1918, we had to change our school buildings again and again, as the new rulers often claimed our historic buildings for themselves.


After these school years, my parents sent me to the home school of the Poor School Sisters (Jauering district). Here I made many friends, some of whom I am still in contact with today.


When I returned to Troppau, I began my piano studies with Professor Keitel, besides which I took literature and art history classes with Professor Theresia May, attended a white sewing course and, at my father's special request, graduated from the hospitality school in order to keep the concession in the family. There was hardly a free minute for me and so I gratefully accepted the invitation to attend the jubilee festival of the Braunsdorf fire brigade, Whitsun 1927, on behalf of my father, where I stayed as usual in the Krause-Hof. This fire brigade festival was to be the great turning point in my life: The meeting with Dr. Anton Patscheider.


End of chronicle excerpt (written in 1988 by Wilhelmine Jarosch-Patscheider-Kniely)


Beginning Excerpt from the Patscheider Chronicle: (written in 1988 by Mag.a Giselheid Patscheider-Riedmann):

On July 28, 1927, Wilhelmine Jarosch married Dr. Anton Patscheider at the pilgrimage church of Maria Hilf near Zuckmantel. The engagement period was brief, but the groom was eager to marry, sensing that his time was limited. Over the next eight years, the couple faced their fair share of challenges. Although Wilhelmine was only 18 years old when she married, she had to quickly adjust to running a large household and managing the responsibilities of a doctor's wife in the countryside. However, the couple's shared love of music and each other helped them through.


Dr. Patscheider's health was affected by overwork and the harsh climate of Moravian Rothwasser. As a result, the couple sought refuge in Wies, in southern Styria, where they stayed with Dr. Paul and Marie Kniely for a few months. During their stay, their son Irimbert was born in Graz on Easter Sunday, April 8, 1928. After returning to Moravian Rothwasser and spending another year there, the couple welcomed their daughter Giselheid in May 1929. However, Wilhelmine fell ill with puerperal fever and took months to recover.


Their living space soon became too small, and they built a modern house opposite the hospital. This move marked the beginning of a new era for the family. Dr. Patscheider continued his work at the hospital, which he had expanded, and created a large circle of friends. He frequently hosted midday meals for school classes, serving fresh rolls from a large laundry basket with hearty soup. The Sisters of St. Hedwig, whom he had called to the hospital from the Motherhouse in Wroclaw, served him with devotion and love, and their beautiful handicrafts are still partly in the narrator's possession today. Dr. Patscheider thanked them for their loyalty by building a beautiful chapel next to their sisters' wing.


The chapel was consecrated by the Bishop of Olmütz in December 1935, bringing great joy to the hospital. However, the same day that the celebrations ended, Dr. Patscheider fell ill with pneumonia and passed away on December 15, 1935, leaving behind a legacy of love and kindness.


At the age of 26, Wilma Patscheider became a widow. Her parents, but also her sister-in-law Marie Kniely, actively supported her during this time. The house in Moravian Rothwasser was sold and the Jaroschel parents moved back to Troppau, first to Obere Stiegengasse and then to their own house at Bäckergasse 39. Irimbert and Giselheid continued their primary schooling here at the Schiller School.


On 2 May 1939, Wilma Patscheider married Marie Kniely's son, Armin KNIELY (born 1907), a qualified farmer, and moved with her children to Ramsberg 87, to an idyllic house on the Eckartbach in the Zillertal. Around this time Hitler was in power, Tyrol belonged to the Greater German Reich, as did the Sudetenland. The Second World War began, death and destruction reigned in Europe, but despite bombs, despite hatred and terror - new life was born during these war days. Wilma gave birth to three more children. Klaus Harald (born 14.1.1940) and Hanna (born Apr. 8th, 1942) were born in Innsbruck, and Jörg, born on Aug. 31st, 1943, became a true Zillertaler.


The turmoil of the post-war period robs the Jaroschel parents (died 1947 and 1948) of their home and possessions, but peace comes. In the first year of peace, this picture of the five siblings was taken, in the background still the meadow beloved by all, in spring a sea of wood anemones, it became a victim of the torrent and so it still lives on in our childhood memories.


End of chronicle excerpt (written in 1988 by Giselheid Patscheider-Riedmann).


Note by Patscheider Wolfgang:

After her divorce from Armin KNIELY, she moved with her children to Kufstein, where she worked as an accountant. She spent her retirement in Salzburg, where she died on Mar. 6th, 1998.


About Moravian Rothwasser: this place is now in ZCE and is called Červená Voda!

Wilhelmine JAROSCH


Wilhelmine in the circle of her children. From left: Jörg, Hanna and Klaus Kniely, Wilhelmine, Irimbert and Gieselheid PATSCHEIDER, photo 1980


Wilhelmine in the circle of her children. From left: Jörg, Hanna and Klaus Kniely, Wilhelmine, Irimbert and Giselheid PATSCHEIDER, photo 1980




Wilhelmine JAROSCH married PATSCHEIDER, married KNIELY, Holy Communion 1917 in Troppau


Holy Communion 1917 in Troppau




Wilhelmine JAROSCH married PATSCHEIDER, married KNIELY,Happy children's days in Braunsdorf


Happy children's days in Braunsdorf




Wilhelmine JAROSCH married PATSCHEIDER, married KNIELY,Marriage on July 28th, 1927 in Maria Hilf near Zuckmantel, with Dr.med.Anton PATSCHEIDER


Marriage on July 28th, 1927 in Maria Hilf near Zuckmantel, with Dr.med. Anton PATSCHEIDER




My grandmother with son Irimbert PATSCHEIDER


My grandmother with son Irimbert PATSCHEIDER




This photo from 1946 shows all 5 children of Wilhelmine in the Zillertal in the meadow. F.l.t.r.: Klaus Kniely, Irimbert Patscheider, Hanna K., Giselheid P. and Jörg K.

This photo from 1946 shows all 5 children of Wilhelmine in the Zillertal in the meadow.
F.l.t.r.: Klaus Kniely, Irimbert Patscheider, Hanna K., Giselheid P. and Jörg K.